
OK, maybe but not RUINED, but definitely upset me a bit! So some of you may know that I have started trying to quilt. For real this time. My grandmother has a beautiful- and beautifully painstaking to make- quilt on her bed that took her some 20 years or more to finish. It's a cathedral window quilt, and she taught Tony and I how to make it. It takes some time and is very expensive to make, but the nice thing is once everything is pieced together, then you are done. There's no more quilting or batting or anything that you have to add in- unless if you want to, I guess. I actually decided to finish up a snowman Christmas quilt by handstitching the layers together before I continue to work on my own cathedral window quilt, but it's a work in progress.
I was returning something at the mall this morning when I walked by this quilt on display at JCPenney's. It is SO a FAKE cathedral window quilt! I got so angry! Unless if any of you know that this itself is actually a kind of quilt- I'm assuming it's the big-market's way of getting the LOOK of the quilt but by cheating the whole laborious and intricate process. I'm not sure why it's bothering me so much, but it is! In fact, the lady in front of me in line was actually buying the whole set. I just really wanted to tell her "Um, excuse me, but did you know that I can make that kind of quilt and that is a total 'knock-off'?" Maybe it bothered me because I'm trying to think of something I can do from home to earn some extra bling and had hoped maybe quilting could help me out. The quilt -though pretty, in my opinion- was listed at $160 but on sale for $80. It's going to cost me at LEAST $200 to make mine, depending on the accent fabric I choose to add over the muslin. I saw some listed at $2500 on Etsy, a website of handmade goods, and hoped maybe there would be a market. If people would rather spend less money on an imitation, dime-a-dozen product, then I guess I need to find a new idea. Shoot.




1 comment:
Hey. It's hard isn't it? I'm to the quilting part myself now and it's slow. I think even if you don't sell your work you should still keep at it and use it yourself. It sounds like it will be beautiful!
Post a Comment