Sunday, March 7, 2010

This is my new most favorite purchase. I knew what I had read in the parenting books- that you should only let your kids eat at the table, not in front of the TV, not on the couch, yadda yadda yadda. We don't really have a high chair, you see, just one that you attach to the table. It seemed like a good idea at the time (aka, back before Mason was born and we did the registry), but it wasn't the most effective device in the world. I knew that we were sliding down and further down the slippery slope of terrible mealtime habits, but I didn't really realize how bad it truly was until Friday afternoon.

Mason and I had just finished looking at some housing properties and decided to meet Tony at his work for lunch, since we were in the area. After charming the crowds, Mason eventually spotted the goldfish in the diaper bag and starting asking for some. I told him to come back into the office (he had been running around in the halls) and I'd give him some. So he walked just into the doorway and sat down, waiting to be given his goldfish. I tried handing him some, but he wouldn't take them. He wanted me to put them on the floor where he was sitting so he could eat at his leisure. To help in my defense, he usually has a bowl or plate or something that he takes with him wherever he decides to plop down. But this was embarrassing. On the way home, we bought the new booster seat.

I thought it would be a rough transition, but the second time I went to feed Mason, I told him he had to go to his chair first and he ran right to it and waited for me to catch up. Now, when I'm getting something ready, he just goes to his chair. What a good little boy. I guess it goes to show that kids really do like routine. And now we don't have chains of cheerios or milk trails throughout the apartment. It's a "win-win-win" situation. The extra 'win' for good measure : )

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Love it :) We need to set up rules with Rachel's sippy cups. She just carries them all over the house and it drives me crazy!